Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dammit, why won't this team give me anything to complain about?

As a Ranger fan, I believe it is my hockey-god-given right to have someone or something to bitch about when it comes to my team. So how dare those bastards in blue take away my ammunition by playing so well?

All right, I guess I could complain about the power play, which has been getting a lot of chances lately yet capitalizing on very few. Still, considering that the Rangers were the last of the NHL's 30 teams to notch a power play tally, the fact that they are currently 23rd in the league could be looked at as a positive thing to a degree. And two things that would have to be considered PP positives are a couple of guys named Brad Richards and Michael Del Zotto. Whether Richards will, in the long run, prove worthy of his 9-year, $60 million dollar contract remains to be seen, but as of right now, it's looking like Glen Sather may actually have made a good free agent signing this time (all those in hell, prepare to break out your skates). As far as Del Zotto: considering he's still barely out of training pants, he looks awfully rejuvenated right now, back to the lovely long outlet passes and nifty offensive moves that grabbed him so much notice as a rookie two years ago. He is also tied (with that other impressive toddler, Ryan McDonagh) for the team lead in plus/minus. It seems that for now at least, "Del Turnover" has left the building. So all those fans who were clamoring to "trade DZ for a bag of pucks" can zip it.

Another of the most welcome Ranger rebirths thus far this season has to be that of the Hot Slovakian himself, Marian Gaborik. Whether or not "Gaborik" is Slovak for "Glass Bones" may still be up in the air, but there is no disputing that when the man is healthy and confident, he's among the league's elite and an absolute joy to watch. And right now, he's got that old Gabby magic back. There are some who still think he could be doing more, will revert back to the uncharacteristic (and underproductive) Gabs of last season, or won't match his output from his first season in New York; to those people I kindly say, shut the f*ck up. We're 13 games into the season and he has been flying thus far, averaging a point a game, and I for one am thrilled to once again catch myself on the edge of my seat when he picks up the puck. Just enjoy the majesty, people.

If I'm talking about improvements in the Rangers' game, I guess I'm kind of obligated to mention the recent play of Erik Christensen. Everyone who knows me knows how I feel about EC: he's soft, he's inconsistent, he's lackadaisical, and much of the time he looks like he's not terribly interested in being where he is. He is also, as I have always freely admitted, talented, and if he wasn't I wouldn't dislike him nearly so much. But lately, I've been seeing a level of effort from him that I have not seen before in his 2 years in blue. Do I trust it to continue? Weeell, I probably won't be ordering a #40 sweater just yet. I'm not that easy. And admittedly, I still have a general aversion to EC as a player. (Or maybe I just don't like to be wrong. Who does?) But for the good of the team, I have to hope it does continue, and if it does, I'll have more crow to eat as time goes by. Which blows, but as long as he's helping my team win, I'll suck it up. I am not one of those fans who will shred a dude unequivocally. As Spock might say, it is not logical to tear a guy down while he is making good things happen. So cheers, EC. Keep your shit together or I'll go out and get that voodoo doll after all. 

OK, on to the league's most kickass backup goalie. Because we Ranger fans are lucky enough to have the King of New York as our starter, it seems any backup is going to pale in comparison, at least for some of us. Not me. Martin Biron is, in my estimation, one of the best Sather free agent signings ever. A proven NHL goalie who spent years as a starter, is a great teammate and mentor (not to mention shootout advisor), knows his role on the team and is content to fill it to the best of his ability, and can take some heat off of Henrik's lovely shoulders without us fans having to wonder whether we will see Jekyll or Hyde in net on any given night. All this for a very reasonable $800,000 a year. In addition, although he has only played three full games this season, Marty currently leads the league in GAA at 0.95. The King is the King, and he earned that royal nickname, and the Garden still belongs to him. But give Marty his due. There's room between the pipes at MSG for more than one pair of striking blue eyes, and if, god forbid, anything should happen to Hank, we don't have to rely on Steve Valiquette or Chad "Ochonueve" Johnson to keep the puck out of the net.

In closing, yes, I'm going to address the sheer ridiculousity of the Sean Avery Affair. All those fans at MSG with the Avery chants? Shut the f*ck up. The guy has played 4 minutes a game, in 2 games this season, and done absolutely nothing of note. The only time I've even noticed him on the ice is when the goddamn chant goes up. Said chant is stupid, unwarranted, and most of all, disrespectful as hell to guys like Richards, Gaborik, Ryan Callahan, and others who have actually been busting their asses and making a difference. And before you whine about his lack of ice time, remember that ice time is earned. Brandon Prust got his own ass off the 4th line by making the most of the time he got, and if Avery can manage to make an impact despite limited playing time, Tortorella will have to increase his minutes regardless of how much he hates him. Till next time, Ranger fans. Here's hoping they get revenge on Ottawa tonight for that utter humiliation last weekend. Otherwise EC won't be the only one whose likeness I'll be sticking pins into.

-Ranger Amy, 11/09/11

(NOTE: To be fair, it can be said that the productiveness of a few Rangers, such as Brandon Dubinsky and Brian Boyle, has thus far left something to be desired. And I would agree. However, I like both dudes and that being the case, I'm willing to give each of them a little more time before I start bitching about them. But the clock is ticking... -RA)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment